To be open or closed on Sundays? (Read More)
That was the question we asked ourselves over a year ago. And we decided to open! We made a mistake. Why you ask? Well that leads us to “who we are?” as a company and what is Foundation Coffee Co. ???
Foundation Coffee came to be for 3 reasons and a 4th reason that is a byproduct of good business model.
1) To create a better coffee dining experience exploring the world of specialty coffee and brew methods. – We knew Riverview and even Tampa had many people looking for a better cup of coffee. We had friends and family that had passion to work with us to bring that experience to our town, and that’s what we aimed to do.
2) To bring community together and connect with people. – Our coffee shop is a place to work and get coffee. We understand that, But it’s also a place to connect with family from out of town, a long lost friend re-united over a latte. Even a place to host for gatherings or small groups. We love that!
3) To share our Faith with those around us.- FOUNDATION for us means a Foundation in Jesus Christ. without Him, we would not even be married, much less have a coffee shop. We embrace all walks of life and want to share Christ’s love with every person that walks through our door. Our goal is for our actions to speak louder than words or scripture screaming at you. But we are not ashamed of our faith nor are we perfect, but we believe strongly that God plays a huge part in our daily lives as well as our businesses. Its because of HIs love for us, that we can love others.
4) To make profit. Profit in which our case is to help in 3 areas. Community, People and Our Kids. We want to give back to the community in areas as such as donations of product, time and special events. We want to create a positive and prosperous work environment for our staff and exceed the industry standard when it comes to pay and benefits. And lastly, our prayer that is all of these things turn black numbers that we could save money to go towards our kids future.
So with all said, why are we now going back and closing on Sundays?
1) We are tired. – For those of you who don’t know, we also own Outdoor Impressions and CAVU event/co work space. We love to work, it is truly a joy getting up everyday and serving our customers and running these businesses, but its too much sometimes, and we have to keep all of it in perspective to what our true priorities are. At the top of those priorities is our three kids.
2) Blurred lines- When we first opened Sundays we had just few things that came in-between our day and or work. But as time has gone by we have become easily distracted and allowed more and more things to pull us away from church, or just time with our kids. It is a constant battle between home life, work life and spending time with the Lord. We know if we are not careful we will blend everything and lose sight of what is really important to us. And it’s not a days worth of sales. There is a song by Casting Crowns that speaks volumes to this called “slow fade” Check it out if you don’t know it.
3) We need to exercise our Faith – Faith is trusting blindly. It is doing something in obedience and not knowing or even fearing the result. Its trusting 100% in another person other than yourself. And it is also the way God loves us. For us, it’s our faith that allows us to grow and share the awesomeness of his provisions.
4) We want to practice what we preach. – It is hard to desire and believe all these things listed above and then look at our employees (some share our Faith and some don’t) and ask them to work so we can rest. Again, our decision to close on Sundays is not to force our employees or customers to church. Nor is it a way to say if you do work, we shun you or think your wrong…haha. Its simply for us and our family a choice that we are making to prioritize our life and how we are wanting to raise our kids. In the event that us closing on Sundays, allows a employee or customer the opportunity or desire to go to church or to seek Jesus, then we are super stoked about that. Bottom line our employees are great, but we all need rest sometimes. This is a cool way we can all rest on the same day!
What can you do?
1) Pray – If you are a praying person, pray that God honors our decision, and that our needs will be met. Rest will be restored to our family and that our customers and staff might have more opportunities to find a church home or be involved in their local church or community.
2) Support- us the other 6 days a week! 🙂 We love our shops, and we love coffee, but all of that doesn’t matter if we don’t have customers. We hope that you feel welcomed and at home at our shops when you come, and we hope that you will choose to come even if we are not you Sunday shop. We love our city and the community of people we get to serve, thanks so much for your support!
Thank you to all of you who took time to read this if you were wondering. My wife and I would always welcome questions or comments in regards to our business or our Faith. There has been no greater joy in our lives than having a personal relationship with Jesus and that is always worth sharing!